Menu:

Chamber News


Coquille Chamber Executive Board meetings are the first Thursday of the month at noon. The meeting will be at Coquille Valley Hospital

The Coquille Chamber of Commerce Member meeting is the 3rd Tuesday of the month at Fraziers Bakery.

Not a Chamber Member? Contact Karen at the chamber office today! 541-396-3414

 

Historic Homes

A.J. Sherwood A.K.A. Luckey Bonney Home
257 E. Main St.
Coquille, OR 97423A.J. Sherwood House

Andrew Jackson Sherwood was a prominant lawyer and banker who founded the First National Bank of Coquille in 1903. He became one of Coquille's first mayors. His law office was located above his bank at the corner of Central and First Street.

Between 1901 and 1903 A.J. Sherwood built a lovely home for his wife Cynthia. Together they raised five daughters, Claire, Delia, Emma, Gretchen, and Helen. In 1929 at the age of 24 Delia married local pharmacist, Luckey Bonney. They had met at a dance in Coquille. Less than a week after their return from a honeymoon in San Francisco, Delia's father A.J. suffered a burst appendix and died within days. In his final words, A.J. asked the newlyweds to take care of Mrs. Sherwood (Cynthia). Delia remembered her father saying to her, "You know how I always loved your mother. If you come here to take care of her, I'll give you the house." The stately Sherwood home became known to everyone in Coquille as the Sherwood/Bonney house.

A.J. Sherwood House InsideLuckey ran his pharmacy at the corner of First and Central for more than 50 years. He was a tall, handsome man who was well liked and had a reputation of being a talented baseball player. Luckey also like to hunt, fish, and ride motorcycles.

Delia was an expert gardener and excelled at needlepoint. Born in 1905, Delia resided in her father's house her entire life. Following her death in 1993, Luckey remained alone in the house. When he was 97, he moved to an assisted living facility where he lived comfortably until his death at the age of 102.

Directions: From Highway 42 turn north on Adams (at Safeway Market); go one block, turn right on First St. (front of Safeway parking lot); take next right (Baxter); go up hill and veer left. This puts you on Main St. and in front of the A.J. Sherwood house.

The Old City HallCity Hall
99 E. 2nd Street
Coquille, Oregon
Built 1912

This municipal building is constructed in the American Renaissance style with brick produced at the local Arago brickyard. It originally housed the city jail and the city library but was converted in 1942 to sleeping quarters for the Fire Department. Later, when the Fire Department moved to other quarters, the upstairs was converted to the City Council Chambers. The downstairs housed all city offices, including the Police Department.

The Leo J. Cary House
572 E. 1st Street
Coquille, OregonLeo Cary House

The Leo J. Cary House is a well-preserved and excellent example of the Craftsman style. The original owners were Leo J. and Mary E. (Nellie) Cary who purchased the property in 1912 and owned it through the historic period.

According to information gathered by Stephen Dow Beckham in a 1976 survey of historic sites, Leo Cary was a lumberman who was born in Parnell, Michigan in 1879. He married Mary E. Coach, the daughter of an East Coast lumberman. Her brothers later owned the Coach Lumber Company in Coos County in the early years of the 20th century. City directories indicate that Leo Cary served as Secretary-Treasurer and General Manager and his wife Mary as President of the Coach Lumber Company for a number of years. Leo was also Vice-President of the Peoples Transportation Company, a steamboat service which ran between Coquille and Myrtle Point, and President of the Kokeel Kanu Klub. He died in 1972 at the age of 92.

Cary House LionThe house, which is prominently sited on the northwest corner of 1st and Folsom streets, embodies many of the typical features associated with the Craftsman style. These include the shallow hipped roof with deep eaves, exposed rafters and dormers as well as the expansive front porch. A garage located to the northwest of the subject building appears on a 1915 Sanborn map and is probably contemporary with the house.

 

 

John Paulson House
86 N. Dean (Corner of 1st & Dean)
Built in 1906

The John Paulson House is significant as an excellent example of a well-preserved Queen Anne style. This home is one of the two “high style” Queen Anne residences in Coquille, the other being the Paulson HouseSherwood/Bonney House at 257 E. Main. Characteristics of the Queen Anne style include asymmetrical plans, multiple gables and other interesting roof forms, corner towers, wrap-around porches, and an array of decorative elements associated with the late Victorian era. The interior of the Paulson House boasts a staircase crafted entirely of myrtlewood.

John Paulson was a lumberman. His daughter Maxine and her husband Guy Mauney lived in the house for many years after his death.